A regional Euroga 2002plus beacon project, the 19 hectare park, mirrors the liaison between culture and the landscape. The Baroque water palace in Wickrath was built between 1746 and 1772. The waters form a ´count´s coronet´ and therefore symbolises the standing and power of the Imperial Count Otto von Quadt. The ´carrot´ - a redesigned stretch of the river Niers – separated the prepalace from the main building.
Today, beds of ´blue´ flowers symbolise the historical course and water-level. Rare ducks, kingfisher and herons have found a new habitat in Wickrath Park. Historical ambience and the continuation of the almost 300-year-old traditional usage as a centre for horse breeding after the return of the ´Rheinisch Pferdestammbuchs´ (regional equestrian association) have created attractive facilities for everything horsy.
Schlosspark Wickrath is part of Straße der Gartenkunst.